The Joondalup Health Campus (JHC) has an onsite Occupational Therapy (OT) department which strives to deliver efficient and effective services which are evidence-based, best practice to ensure high quality clinical outcomes for patients.
Patient comfort and wellbeing are priorities and the focus is on providing patients with the best possible care through the team’s commitment to the core values of The Ramsay Way and People Caring for People service philosophy. The JHC OT department provides a wide range of services to public patients.
Goal of Occupational Therapy – The JHC occupational therapists will consider all patient needs; physical, psychological, social and environmental to promote independence and/or maintain functional abilities in activities of daily living, leisure and work. The team’s primary focus for inpatient therapy is to address difficulties that impact safe discharge from hospital.
A broad range of services are available via assessment, activity analysis, goal planning and therapy interventions such as:
- Functional retraining – activities of daily living (ADLs) and home management tasks
- Sensory/perceptual/cognitive assessment and retraining
- Seating, posture and positioning
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Hand and upper limb rehabilitation, pre and post-surgical intervention and/or trauma incidents
- Comprehensive home assessments
- Equipment provision, minor home modifications and education
- Patient education - precautions and strategies with ADLs post-surgical interventions. Provision of comprehensive home therapy programs, falls prevention education, pressure injury care and positioning advice.
- Group Therapy - Parkinson’s disease clinic, cardiac rehabilitation program and pulmonary rehabilitation program.
- Discharge planning - completion of home assessments and recommendations for community supports. Education for patients and families. Full OT assessment and treatment intervention as part of the Care Coordination Team (CCT) in the Emergency Department.
Who is eligible for services?
- All hospital inpatients who have a valid Medicare card under the care of a consultant from the JHC Rehabilitation and Acute Aged Care department, or
- Any hospital in patients who have a valid Medicare card with an external consultant referral.
Hours of service:
Monday to Friday: 8am to 4pm
Saturday and Sunday: 8am – 4pm (orthopaedic patients and those in the Acute Medical Admissions Unit only)
The Emergency Department Care Coordination Team (CCT) operates at the following times:
Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday: 8am to 4pm
Manager: Rebecca Kitching
Telephone: (08) 9400 9433
Patient Equipment Centre