Acute Pain Service
The Acute Pain Service (APS) at Joondalup Health Campus comprises a dedicated multidisciplinary team who provide patients with comprehensive pain management.
Some patients need specialised techniques for effectively managing acute pain including postoperative pain or for assisting patients who have complex pain problems.
The APS team is nurse driven with medical supervision, and structured around protocols and can include nurses, doctors, pharmacists, physiotherapists and psychologists.
As pain is an individual experience, it is important that the patient is actively involved in the management of their pain and a comprehensive pain management plan is tailored to each patient to help improve pain relief, safety and facilitate a more rapid recovery.
The aims of the APS are to provide:
- Safe and effective pain management for inpatients at JHC.
- Multimodal analgesia for acute, chronic and labour pain, and palliative care support.
- Enhanced recovery and rehabilitation after surgery and trauma.
- Additional safety and surveillance.
- Education, quality, research and audit in pain management.